This article covers:
1. Common frustrations that people have when using other integration platforms to connect Airtable and Mailchimp
While other integration platforms make it easy for you to add Airtable contacts to Mailchimp, it only works when new contacts get added to a table. In order to remove contacts that no longer match the table or sync any field changes to Mailchimp, you'd have to create multiple integrations. This not only makes the management of the sync cumbersome but also results in high monthly bills as each update counts towards your quota.
With Outfunnel, you only need to set up a single integration to keep Airtble contacts updated in Mailchimp, at a fraction of the cost.
Connect Airtable and Mailchimp, deeply and easily
14-day free trial. No credit card required.
2. How the 2-way Airtable-Mailchimp integration works
Sync target Airtable table contacts to Mailchimp along with your custom columns/fields.
Keep the two databases in sync going forward. E.g. if a cell is updated in Airtable, this is recorded in Mailchimp automatically.
Select multiple bases and tables for the sync.
Record Mailchimp email engagement data like opens and clicks in Airtable.
Create Airtable records from new Mailchimp subscribers.
3. How to sync contacts between Airtable and Mailchimp
1. Once you’ve signed up to an Outfunnel account go to Outfunnel > App connector and authenticate Airtable and Mailchimp as per on-screen instructions. Select the tools and click on Create connection.
To obtain the API key, open your Account settings in Airtable and generate an API key if you don’t have one already. Then copy this to Outfunnel.
Airtable Base ID
To obtain the ID of your Airtable base, open the Airtable Standard API page and click on the Airtable base that you want to use. This will open the API page of the base. Copy the id string from the URL:
Airtable Table Name
To obtain the Table name, open the selected base and insert the table name you'd like to use (not case sensitive).
2. Choose whether to sync all Airtable contacts from the selected table or only contacts that match an Airtable view.
3. Next, choose which Mailchimp Audience you’d like the contacts to be synced to. You can sync different Airtable views to different Mailchimp Audiences (e.g. separate email lists for different regions or contact status) or you can sync multiple Airtable views to the same Mailchimp Audience (e.g. a view with New York contacts and San Francisco contacts, all synced to one big newsletter Audience)
4. Finally, select which columns/fields you’d like to sync to Mailchimp. You can choose up to 30 fields including custom fields.
If you have multiple Email columns then Outfunnel will automatically select the first Email field type column as the default email address field for the field mapping. You can change this by reordering the columns and place the correct Email column before any others that might exist. Please make sure the correct Email column is selected before activating the connection.
It takes 2-5 minutes for your chosen Airtable contacts to appear in Mailchimp.
4. How to record email engagement from Mailchimp in Airtable
Coming soon. Please reach out to email@example.com if you'd like to get early access.
5. Tips, observations, and useful definitions:
💡 Best results with a new Audience. We recommend setting up a brand new Mailchimp Audience to ensure everything works flawlessly, but syncing data to an already existing Audience works as well in most cases.
💡 Sync frequency. Outfunnel syncs some data instantly and some every 4 hours (approximately). You can force a sync when you click on the “Sync now” button of the connection in the App connector.
💡 Archived contacts. Outfunnel unarchives contacts in Mailchimp once they match the target connection rule segment. To avoid resubscribing archived contacts, simply unsubscribe them from Mailchimp, remove them from the Airtable table or choose another Airtable view that excludes these contacts
💡 Make edits in Airtable only. Outfunnel currently treats Airtable as the “single source of truth”, and any changes you make in Airtable will be reflected in Mailchimp. This doesn’t work the other way around. If you’d like to edit the contents of a field in Mailchimp, please make the changes in Airtable and let Outfunnel take care of syncing this to Mailchimp.
💡 Supported field types. Outfunnel currently supports syncing the following field types: text, numbers, single selection fields, multiple selection fields, phone numbers, dates, addresses, and monetary values.
Please note that multiple selection fields are synced to Mailchimp as a text field as Mailchimp does not offer this field type.
Do you use web forms to collect leads to your lists? See the following integrations to automate lead capture sync to Airtable:
Don't see your preferred web forms listed above? Browse the upcoming connections and sign up for early access.