With Outfunnel you can send emails to three types of segments:
- Contact segments created in your CRM
- Event based segments created in Outfunnel. Read more.
- Imported segments that have been imported to Outfunnel via .csv. Read more.
In this article we'll show you how to create segments in Pipedrive and Copper (scroll down) and how they appear in Outfunnel.
Pipedrive users: choosing which segment(s) to send campaigns to
In Pipedrive terminology segments are called filters that show in Outfunnel as recipients you can send emails to.
With Pipedrive People filters you can use person, organization, deal and activity fields as conditions, giving you powerful control over creating segments. For example, you could create filters that show you:
- People who work in the software industry and have open deals
- All clients who have not had any activities recorded for the past 3 months
- All people who have an active deal in a specific stage and are based in New York
Please note that Outfunnel works off of People filters only and any Organisation or Deal filters can’t be used as segments to send campaigns to. But also note that you can use Organization and Deal statuses and fields when you set up People filters.
The filter visibility needs to be set to Shared (and not Private).
For example, the People filter below lists all contacts with an open deal in a specific pipeline and stage, and with the Organisation address located in the USA.
Any segments you’ve defined with Pipedrive will be available in Outfunnel as recipients if you’re creating new email campaigns, or if you’re creating an automation to sync data between Pipedrive and Mailchimp.
It usually takes 2-3 minutes between creating the People filter in Pipedrive and being able to access it in Outfunnel.
- Please make sure the filter visibility is set to Shared (and not Private)
- Please make sure you've set up a People filter (under Contacts > people in Pipedrive)
Copper users: Choosing which segment(s) to send campaigns to
For example you could:
- Focus your top-of-funnel marketing content on fresh leads, by targeting new, unqualified leads
- Create an agency-focused campaign and target them with relevant content
- Target all leads that are “ultra-valuable”
This gives you a lot of flexibility to create audiences based on your preferred workflow within Copper, particularly when paired with Copper’s workflow automation feature - which we'll dive into further down.
The simplest way to start segmenting your contacts it to apply any of the three segmentation options (tag, contact type or lead status) manually. You can do this one-by-one, in bulk or in bulk when you're importing contacts.
Once you've done that (and you've connected Outfunnel to Copper) these segments will appear as recipients in Outfunnel. Just like this:
Before diving into using any of these though, we strongly suggest you take the time to define your workflow - whether you're going to be using automation or not. Make sure you’re really clear about:
- What each lead status represents (and whether you’re going to use leads at all in Copper) – perhaps each status represents a stage in the qualification/disqualification pipeline?
- What each contact type means – for example, each contact type could be show potential vs existing customer, or maybe the type of business.
- What you’re going to use tags for – a top tip here is: keep the list manageable and the tags themselves short and sweet
If you wanted to automate part of the segmentation process, you’ll need to use Copper’s workflow automation tool (note that workflow automation is available on with professional and business plans).
For example, you could tag all leads worth over $1m as “ultra-valuable” and then use that as a segment in Outfunnel. In Copper, you could create the segment by adding tags like this:
Tagging a Copper lead as “ultra-valuable” based on their value using workflow automation
Once active, this workflow automation will then check the value of each lead and, if it’s >$1m it’ll tag it as “ultra-valuable”. Then, if you want to invite those leads to the French Riviera for an extra-special get-together, you’d just search for the “ultra-valuable” tag in Outfunnel: