Outfunnel is a marketing automation tool that drives revenue. It lets you send automated email sequences and single email campaigns to segments you've defined in Copper, then have your email and web engagement data recorded back to the CRM. Outfunnel also lets you identify your hottest opportunities with web tracking and lead scoring.
The topics covered in this article are:
- Connecting Outfunnel to Copper
- Sending Outfunnel email campaigns to Copper contacts
- Selecting Copper contacts in Outfunnel
- Syncing email engagement data to Copper
- Syncing between Copper and Mailchimp
- Tracking web visits
- Using email and web engagement data for Lead Scoring
Connecting Outfunnel to Copper
In order to allow Outfunnel and Copper to talk to each other, you’ll need to create a special key – your API key – in Copper and then add that to Outfunnel.
Please note that, in Copper, you can only create an API key if you’re an account administrator and subscribed to Professional plan or above. Here's how to connect Outfunnel:
- Head over to Copper and login to your account
- In the left sidebar, click on Integrations (if you don’t see this, then you probably don’t have the right access level – speak with the account owner to either make you an admin or have them follow the rest of these steps)
- Click on “API Keys” and then “Generate API Key”. Copper will then generate an API key for you. It’s also a good idea to give the key a label, particularly if you plan on integrating with more than one other platform. NB Keep this key super-safe!
- Copy the API key and then head back over to Outfunnel
- Go to Account > Integrations and, next to Copper, click Connect
- Paste the key into the API key field and add the email address you use to login to Copper.
- Finally, click Save
Where you can find your API key in your Copper dashboard:
And Account > Integrations is where you need to add it in Outfunnel:
Copper and Outfunnel are now connected. The next step is to create an email campaign.
Sending Outfunnel email campaigns to Copper contacts
Outfunnel allows you to create two types of email campaigns:
- Single email campaigns – a one-off email that will be sent to anyone that matches the targeting criteria at the time of sending the campaign. Suitable for announcements, invites, sharing new content, etc.
- Sequences – a multi-stage, drip campaign that will be launched for existing users and/or new users, as they are added to the list. Great for automating lead nurturing or follow-ups.
Pick the type of campaign that best suits your aim.
If you want to add a dash of personalization to your emails (tip: you should!), you can select from a list of the most commonly used fields as well as any custom fields you may have added to Copper yourself.
Picking your Copper contacts in Outfunnel
When creating an email campaign in Outfunnel, you’ll need to choose who is going to receive those messages.
You can choose the recipients for campaigns based on three conditions in Copper:
- Contact tag (eg. WebinarAttendee, Tradeshow19Nov, etc.)
- Lead Status (eg. New, Unqualified, Qualified, etc.)
- Contact Type (eg. Potential Customer, Current Customer)
We'll be adding opportunity tag support soon as well but if there are any other fields you'd like to use for segmenting, let us know through chat!
If you want to filter using a different field, we’re open to suggestions.
So, say for example you have a Lead Status in Copper called “New lead”. Selecting that in Outfunnel will result in that message being sent out to everyone who matches that criterion.
Please note that if you’re sending a Sequence campaign and someone matches the relevant criterion (For example Contact Type or Contact tag) at the time of sending the first email, but stops matching the criterion before subsequent emails are sent, then they will be automatically unsubscribed from receiving that campaign.
Syncing email engagement data to Copper
Once you’ve sent your email campaign, all your email engagement data like opens, clicks and replies will be automatically synced to Copper as an Activity.
By having easy access to your email marketing data from within Copper, you can streamline your sales process and quickly focus on the hottest leads. For example, you could build a call list from only those Leads or Contacts that have opened or clicked the latest campaign.
All of your engagement stats are synced as Activities in Copper, meaning you can create filters or view reports that use this data, for example:
- Get a quick overview of your engagement stats by going to the Activity tab in the Company Dashboard. You can also use this view to check individual engagement events for each contact.
- You can also use the People view to create a filter based on opens/clicks etc. Go to People > Show filters (the small filter icon in the top right-hand corner) > Activity type. Don’t forget to click Save Filter once you’re done creating it!
Syncing between Copper and Mailchimp
While Outfunnel's own email tool is great for most cases, we don't yet offer some of the advanced features. As an Outfunnel user you can also use our seamless 2-way Copper-Mailchimp integration that lets you sync all Copper contacts or specific segments to Mailchimp and record email engagement back to Copper.
Read more about our 2-way Copper-Mailchimp integration
Tracking web visits
Our web visitor tracking feature will allow you to have web visit data added to Copper contacts which is great if you want to prioritize or segment leads who have visited specific pages on your site.
Automatically calculate Lead Scores based on email and web engagement
Last but not least, you can use all the email engagement data generated by Outfunnel's own email tool, our Copper-Mailchimp integration and website tracking feature to calculate lead scores and automatically sync this to Copper