This article covers:
- Common frustrations
- How our Mailchimp to HubSpot integration works
- How to automate syncing data from HubSpot to Mailchimp
- How to automate syncing data from Mailchimp to HubSpot
- Tips, observations, and useful definitions
What are the two most common points of frustration people have when using HubSpot and its Mailchimp integration? It only syncs one-way and works only for new contacts.
- HubSpot's own integration with Mailchimp syncs your HubSpot contacts to Mailchimp and syncs Mailchimp's email activity over to HubSpot. However, this only works for new contacts added to the HubSpot CRM (existing contacts are not synced when you connect the tools), and contacts or updates to contacts' info are not synced from HubSpot to Mailchimp.
- Piesync's integration with Mailchimp syncs contacts both ways, but does not sync email engagement.
Outfunnel takes care of these frustrations. Our integration syncs all your existing HubSpot CRM contacts to Mailchimp, keeps them up to date, and syncs all email engagement back to the contact profiles in HubSpot.
Start syncing your Mailchimp data to HubSpot.
14-day free trial. No credit card required.
How our Mailchimp to Hubspot integration works
- Make all HubSpot contacts or subset(s) you define with filters available in a Mailchimp Audience along with your custom contact and company fields (properties in HubSpot lingo).
- Keep the two databases in-sync going forward. Eg. if a custom text field is updated in HubSpot, this is recorded in Mailchimp automatically. (Multiple option and number fields support coming in Q1 2021)
- When people open or click on Mailchimp email campaigns, this data will be recorded under the contact's profile in HubSpot.
- New Mailchimp subscribers can be copied to HubSpot as Contacts. Alternatively, new contacts can be copied to HubSpot only when they open or click on an email campaign. (Coming in Q1 2021)
How to automate syncing data from HubSpot to Mailchimp
1. Once you’ve signed up to an Outfunnel account and connected HubSpot and Mailchimp as per on-screen instructions, go to Outfunnel > App connector and click on
Create new connection.
2. Choose whether to sync all HubSpot contacts or only contacts you’ve defined with HubSpot lists. Your HubSpot static and active lists will be visible if you click on the arrow down. Learn how to set up HubSpot Lists.
3. Next, choose which Mailchimp Audience you’d like the contacts to be synced to. You can sync different HubSpot lists to different Mailchimp Audiences (eg. separate email lists for different regions or pipeline stages) or you can sync multiple HubSpot lists to the same Mailchimp Audience (eg. a filter with open Deals for each sales rep, all synced to one big newsletter Audience)
4. Finally, select which fields or custom fields you’d like to sync to Mailchimp with field mapping. You can choose up to 30 fields from all your Person and Organization fields and custom fields.
- It takes 2-5 minutes for your chosen HubSpot contacts to appear in Mailchimp.
- If the field does not yet exist in Mailchimp, you need to pre-create this first (automatic field creation coming in Q2)
How to automate syncing data from Mailchimp to HubSpot
1. Once you’ve signed up to an Outfunnel account, connected HubSpot and Mailchimp as per on-screen instructions, go to Outfunnel > App connector, scroll down to Mailchimp to HubSpot automations and click on New automation.
2. Choose "All lists" from the Mailchimp audience dropdown if you’d like to sync activity from all Mailchimp Audiences or choose a specific Mailchimp Audience.
3. Finally, define how you’d like email activities like opens, clicks, bounces or unsubscribes recorded in HubSpot – or simply use our default settings (which we’ve described below).
You can change these settings at any time by clicking on the name of the automation, the three dots just right of the “Sync now” button and making the changes.
That’s it! You’re ready to start sending email campaigns from Mailchimp and seeing activity reflected in HubSpot.
Important: The engagements that Outfunnel creates might be hidden at first in HubSpot. Here's how to make them visible:
- Make sure you have set up the automation and sent out at least one email campaign from Mailchimp.
- Open any contact profile in HubSpot and click on "Filter activity" option on the top of the timeline.
- Under Integrations section, enable "Outfunnel" (if Outfunnel is not yet visible but you have sent out a campaign, the data sync might have not happened yet. Just open the automation and click on "Sync now". The activities will be created in the next 10 minutes)
Tips, observations, and useful definitions
💡 Sync frequency. Outfunnel syncs some data instantly and some every 4 hours (approximately). You can force a sync when you click on the headline of an Automation and then click the “Sync events now” button.
💡 Unsubscribe recording. Outfunnel only records end-user initiated unsubscribes in HubSpot and manual unsubscribes in Mailchimp are not recorded. When a contact is unsubscribed manually but they still match a list in HubSpot that is targeted by an automation, then Outfunnel will resubscribe them in Mailchimp. If you'd like to manually remove a contact in Mailchimp, they need to be permanently deleted under the contact profile in Mailchimp.
💡 Email activity is registered on a Contact level. If someone has sent an email, or they open or click an email, this is registered independently of the deal stage or pipeline in their Contact profile.
💡 Supported campaign types. Outfunnel comprehensively tracks and records data for Mailchimp’s Regular and Automation campaigns, also A/B tests.
💡 All engagement is recorded as a new activity type in HubSpot. This applies to sends, opens, clicks, bounces, and unsubscribes. All of these types are easily filterable in HubSpot allowing you to create a list of people based on engagements.
💡 Learn more about the best ways to manage unsubscribes and bounces.