The most common frustration that people have when using both Copper and Mailchimp? It’s not automatic and only syncs one-way.
While Copper’s native Mailchimp integration does make it easy for you to add Copper contacts to Mailchimp, it involves manual work and the data about opens and clicks does not loop back to Copper. It’s ‘stuck’ in Mailchimp.
One of the things Outfunnel allows you to do is to “complete the loop” and make sure that your Copper account is automatically updated when Mailchimp is (and vice versa).
Get your Copper and Mailchimp synced seamlessly with Outfunnel:
- Make all Copper contacts or subset(s) you define with tags, Lead Status or Contact Type available in a Mailchimp Audience along with your custom fields.
- Keep the two databases in-sync going forward. Eg. if a field is updated in Copper, this is recorded in Mailchimp automatically.
- When people open or click on email campaigns, this data will be recorded in Copper People or Leads
- (Coming soon.) New Mailchimp subscribers can be copied to Copper as Contacts. Alternatively, new contacts can be copied to Copper only when they open or click on an email campaign.
How to automate syncing data from Copper to Mailchimp:
1. Once you’ve signed up to an Outfunnel account and connected Pipedrive and Mailchimp as per on-screen instructions, go to Outfunnel > Automations and click on New automation.
2. Choose whether to sync all Copper contacts or only contacts you’ve defined with a tag, Lead Status or Contact Type.
3. Next, choose which Mailchimp Audience you’d like the contacts to be synced to. You can sync different Copper segments to different Mailchimp Audiences (eg. separate email lists for different regions or pipeline stages) or you can sync multiple Copper segments to the same Mailchimp Audience (eg. a segment with Prospective Customers for each sales rep, all synced to one big newsletter Audience)
4. Finally, select which fields you’d like to sync to Mailchimp. You can choose up to 30 Person and Organization fields.
- It takes 2-5 minutes for your chosen Copper contacts to appear in Mailchimp.
- Outfunnel creates the selected fields in Mailchimp automatically so you don’t need to pre-create them.
How to automate syncing data from Mailchimp to Copper
- In the Outfunnel > Automations page, scroll down to Mailchimp to Copper automations and click on New automation.
2. Choose whether you’d like to sync activity from all Mailchimp Audiences or a specific Mailchimp Audience only.
3. Finally, define how you’d like email activities like opens, clicks, bounces or unsubscribes recorded in Copper – or simply use our default settings (which we’ve described below).
You can change these settings at any time by clicking on the name of the automation and making the changes.
That’s it! You’re ready to start sending email campaigns from Mailchimp and seeing activity reflected in Copper.
Tips, observations, and useful definitions:
💡 Outfunnel supports two ways to manage your contacts between Copper and Mailchimp
- Option A. Master database of all contacts in Copper, contacts synced to Mailchimp for emailing via Outfunnel. To enable this, first collate your whole contact list (Copper + Mailchimp) into Copper and sync the all contacts, or specific segments into Mailchimp with Outfunnel.
- Option B. Mailing list in Mailchimp is separate from leads/contacts list in Copper. If a contact, defined by their email address, exists in both Copper and Mailchimp, we log email engagement to Copper to the right contact.
💡 Best results with a new Audience. We recommend to set up a brand new Mailchimp Audience to ensure everything works flawlessly, but syncing data to an already existing Audience works as well in most cases.
💡 Sync frequency. Outfunnel syncs data from Copper to Mailchimp data instantly. Mailchimp to Copper syncs every 4 hours (approximately) but you can force a sync when you click on the headline of an Automation and then click the “Sync now” button.
💡 Unsubscribe recording. Outfunnel only records end-user initiated unsubscribes in Copper and manual unsubscribes in Mailchimp are not recorded. When a contact is unsubscribed manually but they still match a segment in Copper that is targeted by an automation, then Outfunnel will resubscribe them in Mailchimp. If you'd like to manually remove a contact in Mailchimp, they need to be permanently deleted under the contact profile in Mailchimp
💡 Single source of truth is Copper. Outfunnel currently treats Copper as the “single source of truth”, and any changes you make in Copper will be reflected in Mailchimp. This doesn’t work the other way around. If you’d like to edit contents of a field in Mailchimp, please make the changes in Copper and let Outfunnel take care of syncing this to Mailchimp.
💡 Supported campaign types. Outfunnel comprehensively tracks and records data for Mailchimp’s Regular and Automation campaigns, also A/B tests.
💡 Supported field types. Outfunnel currently supports syncing the following field types: short text, long text, numbers, single dropdown, dates and addresses.
💡 The default settings for new Mailchimp to Copper automations are:
- A Custom Activity is created for each email sent, opened, clicked, bounced or unsubscribed.
- If you're sending high volumes of email, you may want to disable creating an activity for each campaign sent.
💡 Learn more about the best ways to manage unsubscribes and bounces.
💡 Web tracking and lead scoring. In addition to seeing email opens and clicks in Copper, you can also use this data with our lead scoring and web tracking features.
💡 Notifications. If you’d like to receive email notifications about people opening and/or clicking your newsletters, you’ll need to turn on Email notifications feature in Copper. (See how).
Start syncing data between Mailchimp and Copper.
14-day free trial. No credit card required.